Wednesday 15 July 2015

Music Reviews - Madonna (1983)


Please note, this is all my 
OPINION! Everybody is entitled to have OPINIONS. Please bare this in mind. :)



Madonna. What a legend. Over the past 31 years (and 11 mouths - to be precise) Madonna has changed and revolutionized the music industry, and has also revolutionized music all together. Madonna is prominent singer and celebrity. You could ask a 84 year old man and a 6 year old child, and they will be able to hum or sing a part of a Madonna song.

Today, I will be reviewing Madonna's debut album, "Madonna", which was released on July 27th 1983. It was certificated 5x platinum in the USA, platinum in the UK and much more around the world.


As an Madonna fan , I will be trying to review this with no biased. I'll will be reviewing the songs on theses two points.

  • Has the song stood the test of time, or is it dated? 
  • My opinion on in.
I will also give a brief overview of the song, and also rate it out of 5.

So, without further ado, here is my review of "Madonna". 


1. Lucky Star


Overview


Lucky Star was Madonna's 4th single, which when to number one around the world. Lucky Star is about (in my option) about a boyfriend of Madonna's, who is her "Lucky Star", who also makes everything around her light and bright. Because of her boyfriend who is her "Lucky Star", she also sings about how she is the luckiest one of all.


Has the song stood the test of time? 


No, the heavy use of a synth keyboard just makes this song reek of the 80's to be completely honest.


My opinion


I quite enjoy this song, it showcases Madonna's earlier materiel very well, however this is not my favorite Madonna song, I do listen to this song every now and then, simply because it's a classic.


I give this song three stars out of 5 
   




2. Borderline



Overview 


Borderline to me is about a love that is never quite fulfilled and a relationship that is troubled and has lost the all passion. The song also shows themes for rebellion against male chauvinism, when it says "Something in way you love me won't let me be/I don't want to be your prisoner so baby won't you set me free" 


Has the song stood the test of time?


Kinda. However this song also has a lot of trademark 80's synth. To me, however this is one of them songs that are timeless, but that's just my opinion


My opinion 


This is one of my favorite early Madonna songs. It has a unique charm to the song, that I feel that no other artist could ever pull off. I love the use of the instruments and they all blend nicely to together.


I give this song 4 stars out of five 
    


3. Burning Up




Overview


Burning Up, is a more rock and roll number compared to the other tracks on this album. Burning Up is about an passion relationship that to me seems to be full of sex and burning passion.


Has it stood the test of time


Nope. The use of the electric guitar being the lead instrument makes the song sound very dated.


My Opinion


I'm not a fan of this song at all, even through it's nice to see a different type of song, it really doesn't fit onto the album at all, and personally I rarely listen to this song as i don't really like it.


I give this song 1 star out of 5  


4. I Know It




Overview 


I Know It is about a lover leaving your life, while you deeply in love with the person, however the way that they are acting, has changed your opinion of this person.


Has it stood the test of time?


Nope. Too much synth.


My Opinion


I not a huge fan of this song, but I don't hate it. It's an okay song and one of my favorite songs of this album, but I think that this song should have been a ballad, it would have sounded much better


I give this song 2 stars out of 5   


5. Holiday




Overview 


This is pretty self explanatory, the song is about needing a time out of your life, going on a holiday and celebrating life.


Has it stood the test of time?


Yes! This like Borderline, is timeless.


My Opinion


I love this song! It's such a feel good, party tune. Everybody knows this song, it is one of Madonna's most famous songs, along with others such as "Vogue" and "Like A Prayer". I listen to this song A LOT. I just love it!


I give this 5 stars out of 5      


6. Think Of Me




Overview


Think Of Me another rock number, this one is a lot softer, which is good in my opinion. This song is about waiting around for somebody to love you and to think of you


Has it stood the test of time?


No, it's dated for the same reasons as Burning up.


My Opinion


I don't like this song a lot, it's just not a good song. Simple as.


I give this song 2 stars out of 5   


7. Physical Attraction 




Overview


Physical Attraction is about being physically attracted to somebody? I don't really get what this song is about tbh.


Has it stood the test of time?


Nope. 80's synth


My Opinion


I like this song, the beats and synth in this track is great, this is one of the great tracks on the album, but it's not one of my real favorites, as I don't listen to this song a lot.


I give this song 3 stars out of 5    


8. Everybody 




Overview 


This is the song that started it all, as Everybody was Madonna's first single. Everybody is about getting everybody to dance and sing, as well as to enjoy themselves and enjoy the music.


Has it stood the test of time?


Sadly, no this track sufferers from the 80's synth.


My Opinion


I really enjoy this track, this is one of my favorite early Madonna songs, as this is the song that started everything for Madonna. And I just really like it


I give this song 4 stars out of 5     


Overall rating


3 stars out of 5 
   


This is a solid first album of Madonna, it features a lot of great songs from this time period, as well as some of her early hits It's not until her next album Like A Virgin, which has some of her most famous early songs. Overall this is a great first album, which started it all for Madonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment